Applies To: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012
Procedures in this topic are slightly different in Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8. For information on new ways to do tasks in Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8, see Common Management Tasks and Navigation.
To authorize WMI users and set permissions
- Open the WMI Control console: Click Start , click Run , type wmimgmt.msc and then click OK .
- In the console tree, right-click WMI Control , and then click Properties .
- Click the Security tab.
- Select the namespace for which you want to give a user or group access, and then click Security .
- In the Security dialog box, click Add .
- In the Select Users, Computers, or Groups dialog box, enter the name of the object (user or group) that you want to add. Click Check Names to verify your entry and then click OK . You might have to change the location or click the Advanced button to query for objects. See the dialog box Help for more details.
- In the Security dialog box, under Permissions , select the permissions to allow or deny the new user or group: